Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I have a baby quilt dillema and need some advice.

Crayon roll lups. I haven't figured out how to move the pictures to where I want them yet.











We just found out last week that we are going to be Grandparents again in July. A Boy! Our other two are girls. I want to make a baby quilt and diaper bag to match. I have been just informed that the shower is May 16. Here's my problem. They are going with a sports theme, baseball, basketball and football. I have been on-line for a couple of days trying to find some cute material and there is nothing that I think would be good for a baby quilt. I don't want a totddler quilt. I know that my stepson loves primary colors. I saw some adorable dinasour material, but have been told by his sister that they wouldn't like that. So I'm lost. So any ideas would certainly be helpful.
The doctor is still fooling around with my medications and I still don't feel wonderful, but not bad. Yesterday, I made a crayon roll lup for my BFF grandson. She has also asked me to make a tote for her mother-in-laws walker.


Here is the rag quilt that I made myself last month and a couple of crayon roll ups for Easter gifts.





Happy Easter everyone.


Thanks, Connie204

6 comments:

  1. hmmm....that is a challenge for you. I will keep looking around for some ideas for you and let you know if I come up with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd seen some pastel sports prints at JoAnn's last time I was there, so I checked their website. I found a few there, so keep looking (I found them under "nursery fabric"). I know JoAnn's isn't the bestest quality, but if you're working within their design, you know you'll be more limited in choice.

    The other option is to say "This is what I want my grandson to have. I'm sorry it doesn't match your theme." But maybe that will ruffle too many feathers...

    The crayon roll-ups are adorable and I love the rag quilt. I hope your med adjustments improve.

    Oh, and Congratulations on being a grandma again! (I almost forgot the most important part!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about making a simple geometric quilt (nine-patch, or pinwheels, or a less simple but great tumbling blocks...) with fabrics in the colours of favourite sports teams? You have a link to sports, but it can still be a fun baby style quilt. Primary colours can work well.

    That said, I don't agree with gifts having to "fit a theme". I certainly didn't turn down the quilts my kids received because they didn't "match" their other things! Their room wasn't an art gallery or show room, and their stuff was just loved and used. I'm sure the quilt you make will be straining at the seams with all the love you put into it and I'm sure your stepson will appreciate that.
    -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree wit Joanne, I loved every quilt my kids got, even if they didn't match the "theme". You could do a guilt in the colors they like and/or add applique sports items. I think I might have a pattern. I'll look.
    The crayon wraps are adorble.
    I hope that you will be feeling good soon. It is a pain when you have to keep changing medication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your rag quilt!

    I don't know about you, but I like to give gifts of my own choosing, especially for my grandchildren. I'd probably make a quilt that "looks like a baby quilt"! There will be time enough later for sports themed quilts! Besides, babies need to see all sorts of things, not just sports, or dogs, or books --- get the idea? Yeah, I know; I'm weird sometimes! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the Boogie Monsters fabric range. It's bright too. Your rag quilt is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete